When Joan gave this to me to quilt, my mind was all over the place with ideas, but I didn’t want to mess it up for what she would put on it later. You see, the pattern calls for it to be quilted FIRST and then add the applique after the quilting is done. You can find the pattern here. And, here is what it should look like when it’s finished.
Etsy also has fabric with this giraffe pattern on it. You can find that here. I wonder if the fabric would be easier than the applique. It’s probably not the same size, but it’s cute!
Joan gave me a couple pieces of white fabric and batting and told me to do whatever I wanted with that as a blank slate. I would post a full-view picture of what I quilted, but you would see nothing but white. So, I will go straight to the details. This quilt, to me, looks like a mother giraffe loving her baby. I decided to put a “father” giraffe behind them, eating from an acacia tree.
The father giraffe and the tree(s) pretty much takes up the whole quilt. The quilt top was 40 inches wide by about twice that in length. The giraffe itself was about 5 feet tall. So, how do you stitch a 5 foot giraffe into fabric without drawing it out on the fabric beforehand? Remember, this is not my quilt, so I don’t want to mark on the fabric. I drew it out on banner paper and stitched through that. The only problem you have with that is stitching pencil marks into the white fabric. I avoided that by stitching just outside the lines I drew, but there was too much detail in the face for me to avoid the pencil drawing. I was mortified when I pulled the paper off and saw pencil marks on the face. I used a rubber eraser over and over and over until the thread was starting to wear. I’m hoping the giraffe applique will cover it.
Here are several angles of the quilting. There was so much more quilting I could have done on this quilt, but I already felt like it had been quilted to death. Stitching in between the spots on the giraffe would have made the spots “pop” more, but the quilting is NOT what the quilt is about. I made the grass longer at the bottom of the quilt and shortened it as I went up, hoping to give it some depth.
I can’t wait to see the finished product after Joan adds the applique! I hope it all fits together nicely.