I’ve been negligent in posting lately. This quilt for Nancy was finished in January. I wasn’t sure what to stitch on this quilt until I looked closely at the fabric. Here it was January, when we are supposed to have snow, and the weather was nearly balmy compared to the rest of the country. This has been a bitter winter for many in the northeastern U.S. And, flooding has engulfed the west coast. The upper Midwest has seen brutally cold temperatures and the south has had more than their fair share of ice and cold temperatures. But, here in the Kansas City area, we have had it mild, comparatively.
So, looking at the batik fabric Nancy had in the borders made me think this should be a winter quilt. She has it interspersed throughout her quilt and on the the back, too. Do you see the subtle snowflakes in the fabric?
I filled the outer border and sashing with swirls, and the circles in the inner border were supposed to resemble snowballs, but they ended up more square than round.
The blocks themselves got snowflakes stitched into them.
She added 3 stripes to the backing fabric. The rest of it is white.
And, here’s a full shot of the front. Can you tell she likes purple, blue and yellow (GREAT colors together!)?
That’s the thing I like about Marianne… that she is trying all sorts of techniques and styles. She’s not boxing herself into one particular style of quilts and is trying whatever she can to expand her repertoire. She reminds me of me. I like all sorts of quilts and no one style in particular sticks with me… well… other than whimsical quilts, that is.
So, here is Marianne’s latest. It was a Block of the Month (BOM) quilt, full of 1930s reproduction fabrics.
Marianne wanted feathers all over her quilt, and not your run-of-the-mill feather wreaths. The quilt hanging at the store had feathers quilted similar to this, and that’s what she wanted. I didn’t quilt it exactly like what they had at the store, but it’s close. It looks kind of like a pin-wheel, doesn’t it?
The picture of the quilting she wanted looked like flowers, so I did that in the colored blocks and in the borders.
It’s that center circle that makes it looks like a flower. So, this is where I snuck in smiley faces, but I needed to put them some place where you wouldn’t find them unless you were looking hard. Look closely at the next picture. The smiley face is in the middle of the “flower.” You can barely see it in this one, and that’s the idea… for the quilting to be personal for the quilt-maker, but not over-powering the quilt blocks and the quilt itself.
Here’s a shot of the corner.
I haven’t been asked to quilt feathers on many quilts, so this was fun to quilt. This next quilt I’m quilting has lots of feathers on it, too. Hope you enjoyed this fun quilt!